Grunwald is in the South East part of the Hohe Mense and contains an area of 194 ha. At its foundation in the year 1719 on royal forstering grounds it only consisted of 12 houses. The names of the first settlers were:Bartsch, Becker, Kahrig (Karger), Kreusel (Kreisel), Zwiener, Babel (Pabel), Schmidt, Grimm, Lemfeld (Lengfeld), Rolletschke, Klose, Postler, Peltz (Pils), Urban, Urner, Jung, Kastner, Zobel, Schindler, Sagner.
The Urbarium is from the year 1792. The settlers had to cut down a yearly amount of 60 Klafter of wood till the day Jacobi, they were allowed to take care of their cattle in the royal area and therefore had to pay 2 - 4 Groschen.
Grunwald is a well-known tourist area in the county of Glatz. It is also known for its possibilities of winter sports such as many opportunities for skiing. They have got a certain jumping area of 40 m and a sledge way of 2 km to the Weistritztal, etc.
Nearby all this there is the natural reservation Seefelder. Grunwald consisted of the colonies Buchenwinkel, Hindenburgbaude.
Forstering houses were there in Grunwald and Rehdanz.
Hostels : Hindenburgbaude (Grenzlandbaude), Berghof Rübartsch, Kammbaude Grunwald-Krone (owner Fritz Urner), Ritterbaude, Adlerbaude, Gasthaus Kastner, Gasthaus Hank, Sport- and Touristenhostel Lutzke, Fremdenheime Herzig and Vogel, Jugendherberge Mensehorst (beim Goldenen Stollen), Hohe Mense Baude (constant tenant Rübartsch).
Saying about the name Grunwald:
The name Grunwald is supposed to come from a refugee called Grun. He escaped through the Weistritztal to get away. He spent some time in the area of the Kammhöhe (Sauhorn) of the Mensegebirge. On the so-called Hüttenköppel there was a Glashütte (later Pangratzsche Glashütte in Kaiserswalde) for whom he produced wood coal. Through the smoke which could be seen in Biebersdorf he was caught.
Explanation of the name:
The name can be explained because the village is situated near a forest. The village was founded in a really green area. For this reason the town was called Grünewald in a writing in 1754. In the Urbarium of 1792 the village is already called Grunewald from the year 1818.